Architect: HBM Architects
Total Project Cost: $10 Million
The citizens of Wooster, Ohio depend on the Wayne County Public Library System for plenty of reading material to check out and enjoy. The first library in Wooster was a reading room housed on the second floor of a children’s clothing shop in 1897. With a generous gift of $15,000 from Andrew Carnegie, the first library building was constructed on Larwill Street in 1905 and served the city of Wooster until 1966. Today this library system has a main branch in downtown Wooster and seven satellite branches throughout Wayne County, one of them a Mobile Branch. The Wooster Main Branch of the library is the Liberty Street Library.
As the 21st century began, it was obvious that the Larwill facility was no longer suitable for the needs of the community. A groundbreaking ceremony was held for a new main branch library on June 17, 2006. This $10 million construction project built a new library at 220 Liberty Street in Wooster. The new library design greatly enlarged the size of the downtown main library and prepared it to accommodate continuing future growth. It also added to the number of facilities the library had to offer for the public’s use.
The Liberty Street Main Branch Library was commemorated on June 23, 2007. It has a variety of study rooms and reading areas for patrons. The number of public computer terminals the library has available for the use of its patrons was increased. There are also additional meeting rooms. A large children’s area was designed and added as well. There is a Grant and Business Information Alcove with two dedicated computer workstations for patrons who need professional-type services for grant applications and job searches. The old Larwill building was renovated and turned into Administrative offices for the Wayne County Public Library System as well as a garage and work space for the Mobile Branch Library.
Copyright © 2016 The Bogner GroupWebsite by JADE Computer